Following the closure of a large Big W tenancy in the Calamvale Central Shopping Centre, centre owners Retail First decided to convert the space into a laneway precinct for a select number of retail tenants and food & beverage providers.
DMA Engineers was engaged by Retail First to deliver electrical, mechanical, hydraulic and fire protection services design for the base build, and peer review for the laneway precinct. Some features of our work included:
- Specialist lighting design to the laneway.
- Redistribution of the existing Big W electrical supply to suit individual tenancies.
- Redesign of the air-conditioning, fire extract and fresh air systems to suit the laneway and tenancies.
- Provision of hydraulic services including gas to individual tenancies.
- Fire services to suit the realigned tenancy layouts.
The laneway precinct was officially opened in January 2022 with the grand opening of the anchor tenant Fresco, which at the time of opening was the largest Asian supermarket in Australia. As well as Fresco, the laneway tenants include FunLand, Matchroom, and several food & beverage providers.