DMA Engineers was engaged to document the Mechanical, Electrical, Medical Gas & Hydraulics services for the project. This included:
– Power and lighting including new distribution boards and body/cardiac protection.
– Nurse call and communications systems.
– Electronic access control systems.
– Fire detection and warning systems including very early smoke detection apparatus (VESDA).
– Air conditioning including replacement chilled water air handling units.
– Medical gases and suction services.
– Hot and cold water services.
– Sanitary drainage.
During the design development phase, our scope was expanded to include the replacement of the air handling unit (AHU) serving the new LPOS area. The new air handler needed to be a multi-zone face bypass type unit which required intensive spatial planning and coordination to fit the unit, associated ductwork and accessories within the existing plant room which was located on level 3 and only accessible via a stairway.
Initially the hospital’s service consultant proposed to install a substantial scaffold on the outside of the building to replace the AHU however after assessing all the options, we determined that disassembling the AHU and taking the individual pieces up the stairs was significantly more cost effective.