In June 2018 retail landlord Vicinity announced they had received development approval from Brisbane City Council for a $35M luxury upgrade and redevelopment of QueensPlaza to help improve access to, and the attraction of, the first level which was experiencing low customer visitation, and to develop QueensPlaza as a true luxury retail destination.
DMA Engineers was engaged to undertake mechanical, electrical, fire protection and hydraulics building design services for the upgrade. Working closely to deliver the concept designed by Blight Rayner, the project team including DMA, Mainbrace Construction, Savills, MPN, RLB, SJ Higgins, and PDT Architects, delivered the following works which were all undertaken while the centre remained operational:
- Design and upgrade of the base building services to facilitate opening two new restaurants on level 1.
- Refurbished mall areas on both ground and level 1 including improvements to lighting and new flooring.
- Refurbished amenities on level 1.
- Base building services and tenancy designs for refurbishment of the majority of ground and level 1, including ground floor luxury tenants.
- New glass awning and balcony design for level 1 restaurant overlooking the Queen Street Mall.
Completed in June 2019, QueensPlaza has now cemented its reputation as Brisbane’s luxury brand shopping destination, and the upgrade has revitalised the level 1 area. In July 2020, the project was recognised in the 2020 Queensland Master Builders Australia Brisbane Housing & Construction Awards, with Mainbrace winning the construction award for Retail Facilities over $5M.